What Should Your Look for in a New Camera?Reading Time: 9 mins
Your choice of a camera can be narrowed down based on a few essential examination criteria. The parameters gone over here will serve as a basic guideline to assist you put into perspective the functions that you might like to have in your camera system.
These parameters are talked about at 2 levels:
– Based upon degree of functional use of offered features
– Based upon the kind of photography you want to try
— > Based on degree of practical use of readily available functions
A person who enjoys with his/her electronic camera model normally reacts with the following words of appreciation.
‘ Amazing ease of use’
‘ Easy to use controls’
‘ Wisely and attentively created’
‘ Excellent value for money’
‘ Light and compact’
These are the kind of terms that you will discover from camera owners who are satisfied with their cam designs. These superlatives sum up what individuals generally try to find or might search for at an overall level in their electronic camera. It is a broad evaluation based upon design aspects, size and cost.
Before you make a decision to acquire you must explore a little further and study the type of features available to you. Unless you make the attempt to understand the functions at hand, there is the danger of being stuck to a design that does not suit your particular requirements. Let’s have a look at what functions you must try to find, in addition to the features that you should watch out for when you choose a cam system.
Functions to Try to find
1. The lens is without a doubt the most essential device in your cam. The quality of the lens guarantees the sharpness of your image. The camera lens is described by length (given in mm), referred to as the focal length of the lens. 50mm is the standard focal length in a lens. A lens of shorter length is called a wide-angle lens and is utilized generally by landscape professional photographers. A lens with focal length greater than 50mm is called a telephoto lens and is particularly helpful to professional photographers in recording far-off images.
There are also electronic cameras with a zoom lens. A zoom lens can offer different focal lengths, so you have a lens efficient in many focal lengths. Basic put, when you utilize a zoom lens you can make your subject larger or smaller within the frame.
For example, a wide-angle zoom can cover a series of focal lengths below 50mm, or a telephoto zoom offers you a variety of greater order focal lengths. Some superior zoom lenses can take you from large angle to standard and through to telephoto varieties. The power of the zoom lens is specified by the level of zoom from a lower focal length to a higher end and is offered as 2x, 3x and so on.
Some lens pointers:
The professionals usually go for telephoto lenses of 200mm or more. A lens with greater focal length costs a lot more.
— Check if your cam is suitable with the range of lenses that the manufacturer of your model has on deal. If you are planning to update your electronic camera by buying another model from the exact same producer, check for compatibility with older accessories so that you can put to use some of the lenses currently readily available with you and conserve yourself an extra expense.
2. Depth-of-field sneak peek button
If you want to accomplish better focus, a depth-of-field sneak peek button is a need. It permits you to recognize the area that will be in focus in your photo. This location is referred to as the ‘depth of field’. When you change the focus in your cam the preview button is a helpful tool that can assist you vary the focus and depth of field in various shots.
3. Image sensing unit resolution
In digital cameras, there is no movie in use however this is instead changed by a gadget called the image sensing unit. The image sensor renders colors, is sensitive to light and is the gadget that catches images in little pixels on its surface.
Image resolution is a step of the sharpness or level of detail in photographic images. Image resolution is expressed as a number and is measured in mega pixels. High-end expert use cameras have an image sensor resolution of around 12 mega pixels and the most advanced professional models go up to practically 14 mega pixels. At the mid variety you have camera designs with resolution ranging from 2 – 6 mega pixels. To deliver big format prints of remarkable quality, you must opt for models with resolution greater than 3 mega pixels. At the lower end, you have designs of 1 mega pixel or less and the sharpness of the picture is somewhat inferior compared to cameras with greater worths of image sensing unit resolution. Lower pixel models are best matched for small format prints.
4. If you have the center for Auto-bracketing it can be an extremely beneficial tool. Auto-bracketing allows the camera to instantly take 3 exposures or in some electronic cameras 5 exposures of the very same shot by differing the Exposure Value (EV) to lighten or darken an image. Each of the images will be a little differently exposed and this is a terrific tool to ensure that you catch the minute perfectly. You can rely on a minimum of one being a correctly exposed photo. This tool comes in useful especially for professional photographers.
5. When you select an electronic camera then it is best that you go for a digital camera, if tonal quality of the picture is your top priority. Photographic prints of scenes caught on a digital camera have a level of tonal quality that is far superior to highest quality conventional prints.
There are sophisticated cam models available today that can capture movement and audio-visual images. The Kodak Easyshare LS753 Zoom Digital Electronic camera is one such model that uses audio-visual capability.
Features to be Wary Of
Some functions or the lack of certain functions can prove to be a stumbling block for a photographer. When you pick your cam system and pick those designs where such disadvantages are minimized or not present, be cautious. Being aware of such disadvantages is important if you want to make a smart option.
1. If you want to adopt a camera design with a zoom lens, search for an optical zoom, not a digital zoom The optical zoom supplies variable focal length whereas a digital zoom merely increases the magnification in the center portion of the picture. If the camera you select has both optical and digital zoom, then make certain that you can disable digital zoom.
2. Some cameras are not all that reliable in low dark locations and light conditions, the flash a not powerful enough. Be sure you do not choose such a model
3. The shift between exposure-modes must be an easy one-step procedure. In some designs shifting between ‘shutter priority’ and ‘aperture concern’ takes longer given that it is a little bit more complicated, involving more than one step in the procedure of moving in between modes.
4. In some camera designs you encounter the problem of dust gathering in the film compartment. Keep an eye out for any obvious fine openings that can cause this problem.
5. Loud and slow Vehicle Focusing can be annoying. Search for a quieter model.
6. A camera needs to have the four crucial exposure modes: vehicle, handbook, aperture concern and shutter concern. There are designs with much more direct exposure modes but select such designs only if your requirements require the confusion that goes along with having a whole host of direct exposure modes.
Based on the Kind of Photography Your Wish to Attempt
You choice of camera and the functions that you need depend a fair bit on the type of photography that you adopt.
1. Look for a cam that includes Center-weighted metering if you are into wildlife photography.
Center-weighted metering is considered best by wildlife professional photographers for the flexibility it offers. With the center-weighted meter the attention is on the center of the frame as the meter checks out the light reflected from the subject. The level of sensitivity of the meter is focused on the subject situated at the center of the picture frame. You can change the size of the sensing area to 8mm, 15mm or 20mm based on the size of the subject and its distance from you. Nikon is credited with presented the world’s first Center-Weighted Meter.
2. For landscape photographers, the essential functions suggested are -a spot meter, a wide angle lens and a memory exposure lock. These 3 functions are thought about the perfect tools for landscapes.
The area meter permits creative thinking when you compose your shot since the spot meter has a significant function to play when you want to meter only a small portion of the scene. The area meter enables concentrating the meter’s sensitivity on a selected spot of the scene throughout exposure. Utilizing a spot meter can be time consuming but its application in executing imaginative ideas makes the time invested rewarding. Taking a shot of the sun setting over the sea or capturing the pattern of snow atop a mountain peak can be done with the assistance of an area meter. The memory direct exposure lock is the system with which you can lock the area meter reading. The cam will utilize the locked in reading when you click for a direct exposure.
A wide-angle lens is capable of highlighting things in the center or foreground. In landscape photography the propensity is to generally have a popular item like a tree, landmark or person in the foreground to emphasize the scale of the picture against the far-off elements in the picturesque setting. This feature highlights the depth in the photograph and the wide-angle lens makes this effect possible.
3. Those who enjoy travelling and mountaineering and are searching for functions that is adaptable on the other hand light conditions such as night-time camp fire or early morning at sunrise or at sun-set, should adopt a function called ‘multi segment metering’. The multi-segment meter divides the frame into a number of locations and takes into account the different tones of color in the scene.
4. Then the electronic camera size and weight ought to probably be an essential consideration, if you are an inveterate traveler. Compact, light electronic cameras are ideal throughout travel or for travelling.
5. Digital electronic cameras are progressing at a rapid speed in their abilities. Offered to you are cameras that can provide ‘programmed scene modes’ for different kinds of photography situations and these choices are offered to you within the very same camera model. The Kodak Easyshare LS753 zoom digital camera has around nineteen automated scene modes. The mode can be varied depending upon the subject and the scene before you, such as – kids, snow, beach, backlight, flower or fireworks. This design likewise has the night mode for night shots and the sport mode that allows you to record action without the problem of blurring. If your interest in photography is varied however you do not have the technical knowledge to change the settings for various scenes and topics, then a digital design with automated programmed scene modes is your best option.
For newbies still finding out the ropes of photography, the requirements for selection ought to be on features that simplify usage rather than those that make complex the procedure of learning. Some cameras have a function called the viewfinder LED. This function permits the camera to identify the shutter speed that is needed for a proper direct exposure.
To sum up, it is crucial that you explore all your alternatives prior to you make a last purchase, no matter how lengthy this process might be. The Internet is a fantastic method to do some pre-purchase info search. Do your Internet research to shortlist options – most significant cam manufacturers have sites with extensive item descriptions and cost information. You can also do your expense contrasts online at websites like shopping.com. Shopping.com notes 410 products in Point and Shoot Cameras, 153 products in 35mm SLR Cameras, 1,500 items in Digital Cameras besides other cam types and accessories.
Make a see to the retail outlets when you have a shortlist. Have a look at a couple of options brand names and models based on your requirements. Assess them on size, weight, ease-of-use of functions and controls. A beginner usually looks for an user-friendly model with significant simplicity in operation. camera models with manual dials are thought about simpler to use and quicker to learn and manage by some beginners. However some prefer the panel of buttons. Choose the type that suits you. Reduce of use in placement of buttons needs to be checked. You have to be comfortable with the ‘layout’ of the different buttons when you manage your camera. The placement of the control layout has to be rational.
And after that finally, zero in on the electronic camera that you want. Anybody who wishes to experiment, enjoy and find out photography need to try to find a design that is flexible. For instance, your ideal camera could be one with a combination of optical zoom lens of 3x magnification (this is a standard level), a depth of field sneak peek button and an image sensing unit resolution of a minimum of 3 mega-pixels.
If you make the right choice, your camera system can take you on a long rewarding journey of imagination, finding out and fun.
These are the kind of terms that you will come across from cam owners who are pleased with their electronic camera models. If you are preparing to upgrade your cam by purchasing another model from the same producer, check for compatibility with older devices so that you can put to utilize some of the lenses currently readily available with you and conserve yourself an additional expenditure.
Auto-bracketing makes it possible for the electronic camera to instantly take 3 direct exposures or in some cameras 5 exposures of the very same shot by differing the Exposure Value (EV) to darken an image or lighten. If tonal quality of the picture is your top priority when you pick a camera then it is best that you go for a digital cam. Offered to you are cameras that can offer ‘configured scene modes’ for various types of photography situations and these alternatives are available to you within the exact same camera model.